Back to Listing
What is the Etiquette for Cornering the Hot Guy from Accounts at This Year's Christmas Party?
11 December 2011
The work party is still, unfortunately, WORK. So I have noted some essential faux pas to avoid to ensure we have a blast and keep our credibility and (gasp) our jobs, by New Year.
Heaven forbid you should
-approach the CEO without an introduction
-be drunk – tipsy is acceptable in most circles
-ever take off your party shoes
-have a party pash at the party - ick
-stay until the end – go home around 10:00pm max
-take a handful of canapés at once (it’s one at a time for the record)
-arrive already blitzed
-tell your boss what you really think about him and his great ideas
-show anyone your boobs – however unintentionally
-go home with a person other than the one you came with
Because ladies always
-dress well – better to be overdressed than underdressed
-mingle and meet the good people from other departments
-drink from the same place on their glass (sounds OCD but keeps the glass sparkling)
-Hold their wine glass by the stem (so it stays cold)
-have a brilliant time and refrains from criticism
-hold everything in their left hand (so right hand is free for canapes and waving at new friends from other departments)
-tell friends if they have something stuck in their teeth/skirt/shoe
-congratulate the host on a wonderful party
-leave after speeches, before the party becomes a par-taye
Kris Kringle Etiquette ?
Set the guidelines:
- A maximum of $15 depending on where you work.
- Try to avoid the gimmick gift which many people feel is a cop-out.
- Stay within the price range – your recipient will feel awkward with their new ipad if they got you a mug with your (ironically) photo on it.
- coffee cups, movie tickets, magazines, nail file sets, bottle openers are all good generic gifts
- don’t give anything sexy or intimate – they have to take it home and suggestive gifts may cause trouble at home!
Have a fabulous Christmas and New Year, remember if you hold your cold drink in your left hand, your right hand will never be cold and clammy!